Green

Mississippi's Capitol

Plant growing between iron work and brick surrounding the governor's mansion.


I've heard rumor that other states also devalue their capitols. It is true that while growing up in Oxford, a town that was unique until recently, as a survivor of the death of railroads in the North Mississippi hills, that I did not care much for the city. I only visited long enough for state band competitions and we only ever saw the pitted streets of downtown and the old tired rooms of Jackson State University's choral practice rooms. Not the best visages of any city. 

Then I moved to Jackson and found a wealth of people and museums and things to do. Oxford may have long had an abundance of culture, but it severely lacked in the "entertainment" category, at least until 2009. I admit, it definitely has more going on now.  

My job takes me downtown at least twice a week and among the mix of abandoned buildings, hopeful new entrepreneurs, and government agencies there is also an admirable amount of growth. A friend of mine had the opportunity to study at NYU and she ended up coming back to Mississippi to finish her undergraduate degree. When I asked her why she chose to come back she explained that there simply wasn't enough green. I think of that every time I get a chance to glimpse Jackson from a high vantage and see a forest canopy more than buildings or parking lots. 

We have a couple buildings that were either built or restored to be LEEDS certified and an acquaintance of mine just received her certification with them on the architect side of things. People are trying to not just revitalize the city, but improve it. 

I want many things for my state including a solid communications network and more/better public transit. I hope that when we develop such systems that we don't lose too much of our canopy in the process. The state has a history of innovation and with the right leadership, perhaps it will happen. 

Comments